TMJ, or temporomandibular joint disorder, occurs when the hinge that connects the upper and lower jaw stops working correctly because the joint is misaligned, injured, or stressed. TMJ disorder may be caused by grinding or clenching teeth, stress, arthritis, or injury to the head, neck, or jaw. Frequently, it can be very difficult to recognize TMJ because its symptoms are also linked to other issues.
How do I know if I have TMJ?
Fortunately, there are several symptoms that can point to TMJ. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Earaches, headaches, or pressure behind the eyes.
- Grinding, clicking, or popping when you open or close your mouth
- Pain when yawning or chewing
- Inability to open your mouth wide
- A jaw that gets stuck or locked
- A noticeable change in the way upper and lower teeth come fit together
Our knowledgeable dentist, Dr. Lyudmila Shur has the ability and experience to diagnose TMJ, and can recommend one of several treatments. Depending on its severity, treatments for TMJ include relaxation techniques or medication, a mouth or a night guard. In extreme cases, jaw surgery may be required. If you have any more questions about TMJ treatment in Lynnwood, Washington, please call or visit Dr. Shur Dental today! We look forward to seeing you.